18 Days Classic Birding TourAugust 26, 2023
11 Days Best of Uganda Gorillas & Chimpanzee Tracking SafariAugust 27, 2023
This 2 Days Akagera & Lake Ihema Wildlife Safari takes us to Akagera National Park for a game drive and to Ihema Lake for a canoe ride to see the water animals and birds. Akagera National Park once protected nearly 10% of Rwanda was considered one of the finest wildlife reserves in all of Africa. There are three distinct environments in the park and if you are lucky, you may even get to see the elusive shoebill stork.
Detailed 2 Days Akagera & Lake Ihema Wildlife Safari
Day 1: Akagera National Park
Upon arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be met by our safari guide, who will transfer you to Akagera National Park in the eastern part of Rwanda (an approximately 2.5-hour drive). Upon arrival, you will go for a nature walk, after which you will have lunch at the Akagera Game Lodge. In the afternoon, you will go for a canoe ride on Lake Ihema to see aquatic animals like hippos and crocodiles as well as water birds like the papyrus gonolek, shoebill stork and African fish eagle. Return to the lodge for dinner and your overnight stay at the Akagera Game Lodge.
- Main Destination: Akagera National Park
- Accommodation: Akagera Rhino Lodge, Mid-range lodge located just outside Akagera NP
- Meals & Drinks: Lunch & dinner (Breakfast not included), Drinking water (Other drinks not included)
Day 2: Akagera National Park – Kigali
After breakfast, you will go for an early morning game drive to see wildlife such as elephants, impala, black-tailed mongoose, hippos, oribi, bushbucks, antelopes, zebras, Cape elands, giraffes and buffalo. You will also see primates like the Olive baboon, vervet monkey and bush baby. You will return to Kigali for lunch and then transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
- Main Destination: Kigali
- Accommodation: No accommodation (End of tour)
- Meals & Drinks: Breakfast & lunch (Dinner not included), Drinking water (Other drinks not included)
End of 2 Days Akagera & Lake Ihema Wildlife Safari
- Park fees (For non-residents)
- All activities (Unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation (Unless listed as upgrade)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (Unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Meals (As specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinking water (On all days)
- International flights (From/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Personal items (Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees.